TechSmart is a Seattle, WA based EdTech company that empowers teachers to reach all students with coding & computer science. We believe every student deserves the opportunity to learn to code and make their mark on the world, regardless of their race, gender, socioeconomic background, or language. We partner with school districts to provide Teacher Coding Bootcamps, a K-12 Curriculum Pathway, and a cloud-based Teaching & Learning Platform.
As a Platform Software Engineer you'll build the rich web application that is our Teaching & Learning Platform, which delivers our world-class coding curriculum to tens of thousands of teachers and students around the country. You will have the opportunity to work with an experienced and supportive group of fellow engineers and use cutting-edge technologies to provide the best possible experience to both our customers and dedicated staff.
We are looking for a coding professional to join our team and help invent the future of K-12 coding education. The ideal candidate has strong coding skills, a friendly and collaborative personality, a passion for education, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a desire for self-improvement. In this role, you will...
- Impact the lives of tens of thousands of elementary, middle, and high school students by enabling their teachers to provide them with learning pathways to professional coding jobs.
- Collaborate with our curriculum, engineering, product management, teacher success, and user experience teams to push computer science education to new heights of instruction and engagement.
- Deepen your skills by working with groundbreaking technologies on a rapidly scaling web application, and by learning with your fellow engineers via code reviews, feature analysis, process retrospectives, and other collaborative techniques.
As a developer, you will...
- Analyze ideas and feedback from both customers and colleagues, helping to prioritizing platform improvements in the team backlog.
- Implement features in our world-class teaching and learning platform.
- Troubleshoot issues and fix bugs within the platform as they arise.
- Delight teachers, students, school districts, and staff with the software you create.
As a collaborator, you will...
- Influence product decisions with effective reasoning and communication.
- Build learning relationships with your fellow teammates and share your expertise with one another.
We are excited to meet because you have...
General Software Development
- Familiarity with at least one statically-typed language such as Java, Kotlin, Scala, C, C#, C++, Rust, Swift, etc.
Web Application Development
- Proficiency with at least one backend web framework such as Django, Ruby on Rails, Spring Boot, or equivalent.
- Proficiency with at least one frontend web framework such as Vue, React, Angular, or equivalent.
- Proficiency with SQL and at least one relational database such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, or Oracle Database.
- Familiarity with the core services of at least one cloud infrastructure provider such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, or Heroku.
Software Engineering Practices
- A growth mindset—is respectful, empathetic, honest, humble, and learns from mistakes.
- Proficiency with verbal and written communication, as well as giving and receiving feedback.
- Proficiency with iterative design and refactoring to grow software projects organically.
- Proficiency with issue trackers, the Git version control system, and at least one repository hosting service such as GitHub or GitLab.
- Proficiency with automated testing and concepts like acceptance tests, system tests, UI tests, or unit tests.
- Proficiency with the software development lifecycle including code reviews, continuous integration, and continuous delivery.
And have the following relevant experience...
- At least two years of industry experience as a software engineer.
This is a full-time, remote position. Prior to COVID-19, we worked from our office in Seattle’s Pioneer Square. The ideal candidate would be able to join us in-person once it is safe to do so again.
To join our dynamic, rapidly growing team, send us your resume.
We are committed to building a diverse team, at all levels, that mirrors the populations we serve. As an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, TechSmart considers all qualified applicants for employment.